Sunday, June 7, 2009

Research Performance Evaluation a systems approach


The "bang for buck" is an important question directed at the biomedical research community especially in light of the disproportionate results against the billions of dollars invested in research activities.

For a funding agency answering the question is not only important to justify their past decisions but also to make well informed decisions while investing limited funds.

Precise and justified evaluation can also vindicate the activities of an entire research community.

A careful evaluation of the current outcome measures and indices reveals their shallow and short term outlook in analyzing the performance of research institutes and researchers.

In this presentation first, we explore the problem of how to create a streamlined system that allows for a scholar and fair peer-review system for allocation of research funds in biomedical research. A special focus is given to the problem associated with the scarcity of expert peer-reviewers willing to serve on the very time-demanding task of reviewing proposals. Second, we explore the problem of how to create a research performance evaluation system that can be used for post-award performance evaluation. Complexities inherent to this problem are explored, including the different perspectives that can be taken on the evaluation process (academic, economic, and healthcare), the system non-linearities (e.g., concentrating on publications will reduce available time for patents), and the field-specificity of these metrics (e.g., a researcher in cardiology is fairly different from a researcher in biochemistry). Last, we explore the problem of evaluating the healthcare return on investment in clinical research. Special attention is paid to the delays and spillover effects in this system, common to most projects focusing on long-term infrastructure and that frequently confuse its evaluation plan. While covering each of the the three topics, we make use of a System Dynamics methodology, with simple models that will walk readers through some of the intricacies of the problem, potential policy solutions, and future areas that deserve deeper analysis.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://buzihupohy.freecities.com/lygufat.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Now, I feel good, I begin to get real money.
It's all about how to select a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the profit with me.

You can ask, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
[url=http://theblogmoney.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense to get income with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]